The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Stepping Back on the Merry-Go-Round

So, remember all that bellyaching about how boring our lives were but how much I dislike change? Yeah, that. And, then, just about everything in our lives changed in the course of year--some things twice? Yep. Guess we learned our lesson! Well, maybe not. Because... Well... change is in the air again, folks. I know, you think we're nuts. So do I!

Thank the LORD, we are not moving again! And, we're happy with our job situations just the way they are now. And, I've got a pretty good thing going with my current hairstyle.

So, what could it be? What else could we possibly want to change? Here's a hint: I've been thinking about this post for several months now (it's true!) and one of the titles I considered was "And Baby Makes Three!!!"

Drum roll please... Yes, we're adopting again! We just scheduled our home study visit for next Wednesday evening and for whatever strange reason, that is the trigger that somehow makes it real for me. We've considered many options, but for a heap of reasons, we are going with the brand, spankin new Acres of Hope Ghana program.

We're requesting a boy born at least a year after Pea (we're also open to boy-girl sibs in the same age range). We're also requesting that he be HIV+. We started our adoption journey hoping to be a drop in the ocean of the HIV/AIDS crisis in Africa particularly through our adoption as well as advocacy. For many reasons, it just didn't happen the first time around. But, the burden hasn't left us. We wrestled quite a bit with the issues of openness on this subject and drew the conclusion that, for our family, openness is better. So, I will be sharing about HIV issues and adopting an HIV+ child rather openly on this blog, in the hopes of shining one more light on the topic. So, if you have questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. :)

Now, I've got to go wash the windows--the home study lady is coming!!!! (I'm only half-kidding!)

12 comments:

Faith said...

Yeah! How exciting to be adopting another little one! I can't wait to follow your journey. I am very intrigued by the new Ghana program as I didn't even know it existed. Hmmm :)
Blessings

Dearest Jessica said...

congrats! So exciting!

Sarah said...

I am so happy for you and your family!! Yeah! I will be praying for your little one (or two!) in Ghana that God has planned to join your family. Keep us posted!
Congrats!

Love,
Sarah

Michelle said...

Rachel, that is so awesome! I will pray for your journey. I too have a special spot in my heart for HIV+ children (and you know, a conversation with you many months ago started my self education about HIV). Maybe, maybe, someday. We've got to concentrate on getting our Liberian angels homes first. Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! Michelle Johnson

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love that people with a desire to enlarge their family choose to do so by adopting.

Carolyn said...

Congratulations! I'll be watching your blog.

Bingaling said...

I know from experience that you will surely be blessed by your Ghanaian child(ren). Congrats to you! I'm looking forward to following your journey - and hearing about this new program!
Chanda

Leslie said...

Congratulations!!! I'll be so excited to hear who God brings into your family!!

Heart4Adoption said...

I'm so excited for you! And excited to learn through you:)

andreawilliams said...

What a blessing!! Iam so excited for you guys!! Wish that you were closer :(
Maybe Punk could plant a baby seed to grow you a baby??

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!congratulations!!!!!!

zandyk said...

Rae,

I am so not suprised! Congratulations on getting the process started, what an exciting time for you all! When are you coming for a visit? We miss you?

~Z

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued