The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Color Me RED!!!!

So, last night, I had the supremely wonderful experience of going grocery shopping...ALONE! But, I'd been there only a few minutes when my mom called. I am a woman of many talents, so I figured I could certainly shop, hold the phone and the list, and steer the cart one-handedly. And, I could. Mostly. Until I rammed my cart headlong into that of a very kind gentleman who had just pushed it to the very edge of the aisle to make way for me! Yikes! "OH! Sorry! Sorry."

"That's okay. The grocery store is well-known to be a dangerous place!" He smiled.

"Oh, you know us, women drivers on their cell phones! Haha!"

"Oh! I can't say anything about that! I'm outnumbered in here!"

Then in the next lane I pulled down a box of granola bars into another shopper. Blush! "Sorry! Sorry! I'm so sorry!" If you ever hear of Rachel's Law you'll know it has something to do with prohibiting people (women?!) from talking on cell phones while driving. Shopping carts.

But, the most embarrassing thing happened today. I was shopping at TJ Maxx this afternoon. But this time, I was not alone. It's not like this was the first time I'd ever taken the kids into a dressing room with me before. But, something has definitely come over Punk since the last time. I should have known trouble was coming. As I was browsing the clothing racks, Punk said, "Mama!! Guess what I just saw!!!! UNDERWEARPANTS!!!!" Yep. Shoulda known.

But I didn't. Instead, I naively betook myself, my 6 items, my 4.5 year old son, my 3.5 year old daughter, and my dignity into the largest dressing room of the bunch. Having learned from past excursions, I warned them both away from the curtain. And, to not lick the mirror.

I then proceeded to remove my own clothes and try on the first dress. "Tee-hee-hee-hee! Mama!!! Guess what I see!!!! I see YOUR UNDERWEARPANTS!!!!"

"Yes, Punk, I'm trying on these clothes, so you're going to see my underpants, but we don't need to talk about it, okay?"

"Okay, Mama. That's a really pretty dress. I really like it. Are you going to buy it?"

"Nope. I don't think so." And, I take it off.

"Tee-hee-hee-hee! Mama! I see your UNDERWEARPANTS again!!!!" Then he moves behind me. "Mom! Why is there BLOOD on your UNDERWEARPANTS!?!?!?!"

Whoosh! I'm as red as can be, although I know full well that it's paint. Pink paint from when we painted Pea's room in Boise for her. "Son, that is not blood. It is paint."

"Oh. Mom, why do you have paint on your UNDERWEARPANTS?"

"Because," slipping on the next dress, "when Daddy and I painted Pea's room for her in Boise, I sat on a drop of paint and it got on my underwear. Let's not talk about it anymore, okay? Please don't say anything else about my underwear."

"Okay, Mom. I like the other dress better."

"Thanks for the advice, Buddy. I agree." And, I slip it off.

"Tee-hee-hee-hee!!! Mama! I see your HMM-HMM-HMM-HMM-HMMM!!!! Tee-hee-hee-hee!"

And so it went, on and on, until I'd tried on all six items. Finally, I had to pull back the curtain and face the world. With my head bowed and my face hidden in my neck as best I could.

And the moral of the story is, If you sit in paint, throw your panties away!!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad that I am not the only one that deals with wonderful yet colorful comments from their kids while trying on clothes :0). Thanks for finding the humor in it all despite the embarassment of it all. Kim R.

Heart4Adoption said...

Once again, thanks for the laugh! Your kids are so precious!!!

Tarah said...

Ha!!! You do need to get some new panties! :)

Thanks for being candid. I love it

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!
glad im not the only one with a young boy that speaks his mind!

Stefanie said...

Thank you for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

It does beg the question . . . . .were you painting in your panties? (Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Rae said...

Well, yes, dear Londa, I was wearing panties while painting. I try to wear them most of the time. My mama taught me well. On the particular occassion in question, however, I also happened to have pants on. But, as I sat on the paint drop, it soaked through pants and panties. Had I been wearing ONLY panties, not much painting would have gotten done as I was assisting a certain hot husby with the job! ;)

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued