The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

My Mansion in Heaven

Last night, the four of us headed downtown to enjoy some of the Azalea festival. First stop, Kilwin's for some killer ice cream. Punk scoped out all the varieties through the glass and settled on the rainbow-looking one. When he found out it was called "Superman" ice cream, he was elated! After his first bite, he mused, "I bet this can make me fly high!" :)

Anyway, we wound up parking out in the neighborhood of historic houses. I could walk those streets and day-dream about those houses--their histories, their many families, the amazing stories and secrets they hold--for days on end and never tire of it. On the way back to the car at the end of the evening, we passed a magnificent porch with a lovely house attached. It was set back from the road with a glorious garden between. I stopped in my tracks to admire it. It was just gorgeous. Aaron remarked, "I bet you'll have something like that for your mansion in heaven."

Oh! I sure hope so! I would so enjoy eternity in a home like that! I would spend hours in the heavenly library researching wallpapers and paint colors. I'd lose entire afternoons in the antique shops (where every thing would cost only a smile!). I'd sip sweet tea on my veranda with each lovely visitor, sharing the story behind my latest and greatest finds. My garden would either bloom victoriously without a thought from me, or else, I'd have heaven's most charming gardener, probably an old soul, to work magic there. Then, zhe and I would sit in our rocking chairs and admire zir work together. I hope my gorgeous mansion could be like a bed-and-breakfast. I would so enjoy entertaining like-minded travellers from other places and times within heaven, getting to know them for a little while before they moved on. I'd especially enjoy a little quiche lorraine or my signature eggs florentine with repeat visitors.

As we were driving away from our parking spot, I realized that the grand mansion we'd parked next to was a real bed-and-breakfast. It was on the corner of Nun St. and 2nd Ave. I looked it up on the web and it's real name is "The Verandas" (click here to see why), but if it were my little slice of heaven, I wouldn't be able to resist calling it "Second to Nun"!

1 comments:

Heart4Adoption said...

It looks beautiful!

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued