The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Vermin

30 May 2010

During the almost two years that we have lived in NC, I have been afraid of running into a snake. I was beginning to feel more secure in that area until I came home from picking up Pea at preschool to find this guy lying on my threshold.

When I saw him, I jumped, danced, screamed, gagged, and otherwise made a fool of myself. Then, I calmly went back to the car and opened the garage door, shooing Pea in front of me dashed into the house via the garage.

I'm so glad that my front door is glass. First of all, so that I could get that lovely shot of my enemy for all of you without endangering myself. Second, so that I can check for him (and his friends) before I open the door ever again!

He has been identified (by me and my FB friends) as a rat snake. Which in my opinion sounds like a double-vermin. Fortunately, like most snakes in my area, they are physically harmless. Psychologically, though, it's a different story. Which brings me to my next tale of woe.

Three days after Ratty paid his visit, I was headed out to run errands. I locked the door and turned to walk to my car. That's when I heard the rustling like grocery bags. Then I saw it--sleek, black, hideous. Another, very different snake in the flower bed. Another, very similar dance-scream-gag sequence. Of course, I couldn't take my eyes off the horrible thing. It slithered up onto the porch, turned around and looked at me (I'm not kidding, it even stuck its head up about six inches off the ground), slithered under the porch bench (which gave me the opportunity to observe that it was at least 4 feet long, as verified by my husby, lest you think I exaggerate!) and over to the other flower bed. At this point I assumed I was out of reach and completed my mad dash to the car.

It has been about a week since the second snake sighting and I have quit looking between the sheets before getting into bed. But, I still loathe dark hallways and will not go into the dark garage without turning on the light.

So, you ought to be rather proud of me when I tell you that I was sitting here at my computer yesterday when I heard the rustling of grocery bags and didn't freak out. I calmly assumed that the air conditioning was blowing on the bag of craft goodies on the floor behind me. But, of course, I didn't explore. This afternoon, A pointed out that the register was closed. I watched over his shoulder while he picked up the bag. This is what he found.

Whatever that thing is, it was HUGE, as in at least an inch long (again, verified by the scientist I live with. Never mind that he's a nuclear engineer and not an entymologist or other kind of verminologist).

Why, oh why, are we OVERRUN with pests and vermin?! Makes me want to move back up north!!!! Now, who wants to come over?!

0 comments:

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued