The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Pea's Anniversary

28 October 2010

Monday was Pea's Third Anniversary! It really is hard to believe it's only been three years. The more I know her, the more I love her. She brings a balance to our family. Her sweet, gentle, loving spirit is the epitome of I Peter 3:4: "You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." It's precious to me too! I feel very strongly that this family needed this girl at least as much as the girl needed us. In fact, I'm convinced that *I* need this girl.

Many years ago a friend and mentor told me that children are a mirror given by God to show you what you are really like. I think that's very true in Punk's case. He is very like me and I see all my weakness is living color in him. And the strengths too. Pea, though, Pea often shows me what I should be, what I want to be.

Sunday our family went to one of the local schools in a poorer area of town and helped to remove vines from a chain-link fence. The kiddinkies were happy to help, sort of competing to see who could pull out the longest vine. But, soon, all the long, easy pieces were out. What remained were terribly tenacious vines that were impossibly wound around the fence. Pea got in there and patiently unwound them one at a time. It was painstaking work which required focus and dedication I've never seen in a five-year-old. She did it with a happy heart, no complaining, no taking breaks. I didn't have to cajole her into it, she just stood next to me and worked away. Her brother was goofing around nearby, but even that did not distract her from the task she had set herself to. I was humbled and amazed by her example.

I cannot imagine my family without her. I cannot imagine my life without her. Thank you, God, for bringing this light to our lives!

1 comments:

Tarah said...

Happy Anniversary PEA! :)
Happy familyversary to you all.

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued