The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Getting Going

I don't really know what I'm doing here! I'm not sure who'll be interested in reading this or how often I'll be here or anything. I don't know how to start. I've read a few blogs, but I'm pretty new to this.

I guess I'm starting a blog because everyone says to write down all the things that are happening with our son, Punk* (b. 7/25/04), and our adoption, or we'll forget it. Maybe the kids and I will be the primary audience over time. We'll see.

So, I'm very much in love with my husband, Aaron. He really is such a stellar person I don't think I'll ever catch up. He's steady and generous, patient and hard-working, incredibly intelligent, but not at all geeky or nerdy. He makes life seem easy to live well. I admire him and love him.

I've been marvelling lately about how much I enjoy our son Punk* (I'm a full-time mama). I knew I'd love my kids and that we'd have fun together, but I just didn't expect to actually ENJOY them. I mean, I really like him. I like his personality. I enjoy his company. Perhaps you understand, maybe not. At 2 1/2, he's blowing me out of the water with all he can do. He regularly counts to 10 now. He recites sections of the alphabet, although he hasn't managed the whole thing at once. A couple days ago he drew a rectangle--a real rectangle! He said, "Mama, Mama--I draw a square." I thought, yeah, right. But he really, really did!

Today we went to our first gymnastics class. He did so great! He took to it like a fish to water. Even the teacher commented that it usually takes kids a few sessions to warm up to it and her. I'm glad to see him developing phyical strengths as well as intellectual ones. I hope he'll be like Daddy--smart, but not geeky!

While he's growing up before our eyes, we're also in the process of adopting a little boy who's growing up without us. Pence* is 3 1/2 and lives in a hospital in Liberia, West Africa. He's adorably cute and we're in love with him already too. Our process has been anything but ordinary (even for notoriously abnormal international adoptions), but God has been AMAZING in keeping my heart at peace through it all. I've never known anything like this. It's totally not resignation, but it's the furthest thing from worrying and fretting. I suppose it's one of those things you have to know by experience rather than explanation. We expect him to come home sometime this year (ie, 2007), but it's pretty uncertain. My outlandish hope is that he'll be home by his birthday, July 13 (2003). My more realistic hope is for Christmas--thus, I'm felt-embroidering a Christmas stocking for him now!

We're also waiting on a referral (match) of an infant girl. I have no idea how this will "go down" but I have a feeling it will not be "normal" either. We shall see. There were "flitty-floaty" ballerinas in our church Christmas program that stirred up my desire for a daughter. Aaron is such a great boys'-daddy, but I think he'll be amazing with a little girl. :)

Next time I'll try to get down some of Punk*s idiosyncracies of speech. He's picked up language so well he doesn't have many, but I don't want to forget the cute ones!

*Not their real names. In an attempt to protect my children from internet weirdos, I'll be using these nicknames in my blogging.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I GOT UP EARLY THIS A.M. HAD A CUP OF COFFEE, SO HERE I AM AWAKE AND DECIDED TO CHECK RACHEL AND HER BLATHERINGS. LOVE IT AND I AM GLAD YOU ARE HAPPY. IT IS ONE WAY TO GET TO KNOW YOU BETTER. I ALSO LOVE ALL THE PICTURES OF YOU AND THE KIDS.
LOVE YOU ALL, GRANDPA WILSON.

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued