The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Oh the Irony!

I've been thinking a lot lately about how we steward our finances and other resources. In the realm of adoption, I feel that if you take away all the selfish reasons for adopting or not adopting, we would have no other option but to keep adopting ad nauseum. Aaron's not convinced of this and since I know I tend toward the extremes and he tends toward the middle, I must admit I need to entertain his ideas a while longer. But, the same feeling applies to our finances. We have sooo much and so much of the world has sooo little. If we were entirely unselfish, we could live on a lot less (I think!) than we already do. I know that money doesn't solve poverty, but the people and programs that help, do require money. And we could have a lot to give, depending on how we live. It's strange to think of tightening the purse-strings when we're expecting two more kiddos and all the expenditures that come with them, but it's something that is weighing heavily on my mind and which I am struggling with God to discover what he wants us to do.

A thought-provoking quote stolen from another blog: "Too often we just do what makes sense to us and ask God to bless it. In the Beatitudes, God tells us what God blesses - the poor, the peacemakers, the hungry, those who mourn, those who show mercy....rather than do what makes sense to us and ask God's blessing, we'd do better to surround ourselves with those whom God promises to bless." (Shane Claiborne) And, I would add, to become the kind of people God blesses.

So, here I am, sitting at the computer, reading an article about an experiment in which participants engaged in a "No-Spending Month." The idea was to distinguish between necessities and wants, and to only purchase the necessary things. Very interesting reading. (Here's the link if you care to check it out: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/FindDealsOnline/CouldYouStopSpendingForAMonth.aspx)

Meanwhile, Punk is prattling away about how he's going on a shopping trip with his pack-pack (ie-backpack--which was actually his life preserver!) and creating his verbal list of what he "needs" from the store. A small sample of things I heard him listing: hat, scarf, muttons (ie-mittens), pickles, uh-wivs (ie-olives), exercise machine, iron. Right, Punk. A 2.75 year old needs an elliptical machine. Good luck carrying that in your pack-pack. Of course, most of these are things he was seeing as he narrated his slow amble around the family and living rooms. Things we already have. I'm not sure where the idea for the pickles and olives came from, but, rest assured, we do have those too.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I love to read your blog...you don't know me, but I'm adopting a boy named Isaac from Liberia thru AOH, I just wanted you to know I think your babies are so beautiful, and I love to read your blog.

here is my blog site if you want to check it out...

http://bringingisaachome.blogspot.com

Jocelyn

Sintari said...

Rae,
I love this post. You and I are so much alike! The more I think about it, the more I can't see any reason not to adopt and adopt until I drop! But my hubby isn't there quite yet. I guess we'll get through this adoption first, and go from there... :) (I tend toward extremes too!) :)
By the way, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
- Amy (Reid and Lily's mom)

Anonymous said...

Rae,

Okay, now I'm hooked and a regular here on your blog! This entry struck a chord with me. I read the Judith Levine book a while back and it inspired me to only buy things we need as part of my Lent. It has certainly been an eye-opening experience and taught me things about myself that I hope to carry with me beyond Easter.
Thanks for your thoughtful take on it.
Michelle Maher (AoH)

Rae said...

Jocelyn--I'm familiar with you from the AoH board--thanks for stopping over! I have your blog saved in my faves and I'll be over soon to read up!

Amy--Funny! Someday we'll be Extreme Old Ladies who Lived in a Shoe together! :D Ha!

Michelle--I just checked out Irresistible Revolution from the library on Jen. Isaac's recommendation. My husband and I are going to read it together (as if we have time to!) and I'm sure a lot of that will be leaking into my blog. Altho it's a lot broader than finances, it's sure to shake up our lifestyle! We're also discussing the No-Spend Month. I'll keep you posted on all the developments! :)

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued