The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Singing Myself a Sermon

Aaron was at a meeting last night so he never came home until like 11 PM. So, I was pretty much alone with myself and a 2.75 year old for distraction. After I put Punk to bed, I sent out my e-pleas for prayer and then went to take a shower. During the shower, I figured I needed to worship Jesus to drive away the threatening gloom and despair over Pence's seeming lack of progress.

While we now attend a mostly "chorus" singing church, I grew up in mostly hymn singing church, so a lot of those are ingrained in me. "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" came to mind and I started trying to sing it. Well, perhaps "ingrained" is the wrong word because I couldn't remember many of the words. Fortunately, I happen to own a hymnal, so I looked it up. Here's the complete lyrics by Martin Luther (yes, Mr. Reformation himself):

A mighty fortress is our God, A bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood Of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe Doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, And, armed with cruel hate, On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, Our striving would be losing,
Were not the right man on our side, The Man of God's own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus it is He!
Lord Sabaoth His name, From age to age the same, And He must win the battle.

And though this world with devils filled, Should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, We tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, For, lo, his doom is sure; One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, No thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours Through him who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, This mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God's truth abideth still; His kingdom is forever.

I love the simple, direct choruses we sing today, but I carry a deep respect for the hymn-writers of old. Singing a hymn is like singing yourself a sermon. There is so much meat to munch and much to reflect upon within these words. I even detect some sly humor in the phrase, "Dost ask who that may be?" And triumph in the answer: "Christ Jesus it is He!" :)

And while I recognize Luther was thinking of things much bigger and higher than Pence being "stuck," much of his attitude is quite applicable. And, the hymn has the effect of lifting my eyes beyond the problem to the great God who cares for us all and whose kingdom truly is huge and everlasting. Aaah. Balm to pitiful little soul.

I think I'll go worship him some more! :)

(PS--If you've left comments, I decided to respond to them right there in the comment section, so don't forget to check back there!)

0 comments:

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued