The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Worth the Wait

Aah. That's a good title. Firstly, I know that this post is long overdue. On the other hand, I can hardly believe I last posted only 10 short days ago! But, this post is certainly worth waiting for!

One reason it's worth waiting for: I got Pea's orphan report from the orphanage. It's a collection of their observations about her personality. They say she has two sides to her personality: the one she shows to trusted "insiders" and the one she hides behind when around strangers or unfamiliar situations. She is a "deep thinker," guarding her emotions, and carefully deciding her responses. She's analytic and unusally conscientious for a 2 yr old. Overall, the descriptions sound a lot like Aaron's personality.

When she is comfortable and amongst friends, she is outgoing, playful, sassy, funny, risky, opinionated... She's particular about her meal-time routines and likes things "just-so." She's beginning to talk and the staff believe she'll really thrive in a home setting.

As I read the report, I felt like I just wanted to drop everything and swim the ocean to be with her. What I read just resonated with me and I felt like, "THIS is MY daughter!" I think we're really going to enjoy her personality, but I do think attachment will be a slow, plodding process for us. They say that with frequent, consistent attention, Pea opens up quickly to others, but I wonder how the transition will go. Fortunately, she is a cuddler (YAAAAY!) and she takes a bottle still, so I think those things will be positive factors in our bonding and attachment.

Now, the second reason this post is worth waiting for is... I'M LEAVING TUESDAY TO GO BRING HER HOME!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Everything just kinda fell together, and I'm off to Africa! Of course, we're all thrilled that she'll finally be with us, but, at the same time, it's rather overwhelming to think of adding another transition on top of all we're currently in the midst of. I'll try to do better about updating you, but I have a suspicion, that I'll be even WORSE at blogging now!

So, was it worth the wait?!

12 comments:

Bingaling said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brandi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faith said...

Oh Rae! i am SO excited to finally see this post from you! Have a wonderful, safe, productive trip bringing your girl home, finally. I will be praying that the bonding and attatchment goes quickly and swiftly.
Blessings, Faith

Unknown said...

yes, so worth the wait!!! Congrats!!!

Michelle Maher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Just starting reading your blog and have loved your adventure - I am sooo excited for your trip!

Becky Avella said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denise Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tami said...

Woohoo!!! That is SO like MY GOD!

Leslie said...

WOW!!! That is terrific, Rae!! I'll be praying for you guys!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued