The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Mama Waut! And some random musings

Mama waut! Mama waut!!! Mama waut! Mama waut!!!!

This is all I hear, all day long from my beautiful Pea. Watch this, watch that. Even if I'm staring right at her: "Mama waut!" Really, she must say "Mama waut" about 200 times a day. Over and over. It's soooooo annoying. I know it shouldn't be. I know it's just a phase. I know I should be delighted that she wants to share every little aspect of her life with me, but, honestly, it's driving me NUTS!!!! So, I say I'm watching, but don't. And then I feel guilty about it. Uuuurgh. Being the mama is hard! (ya know, Barbie, kinda like math)

So, it snowed on Easter. Not only snowed, it blizzarded! I wanna wrestle Old Man Winter to the ground and sucker punch him a few times.

I heard a good reason for throwing down $$$$ for antiques--it saves the environment! :) Well, it's one way to look at it. I'm on an on-going search for a vanity to save my marriage. Even when we lived in our 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in Idaho, Aaron and I had a bathroom problem. It just wasn't big enough for the both of us. And, now, with all four of us sharing one bathroom (and the situation won't improve when we move over to the house), it has come to a head.
The solution we devised back in our old home was to obtain (or have A build) a beautiful antique vanity. We would have put it in the master bedroom for me to use for my hair and make-up doings. We even planned to retrofit it with a small fingertip sink (to rinse the make up off my fingers or whatever--it's just handy to have a little water source around). It would have been easy to bust some pipes through the wall from the bathroom into the master bedroom. Such crafty plumbing feats are not so practical now, but one of those beautiful old pitcher-and-basin-wash-sets would be a loverly alternative.
So, I got on Ebay (of course) the other day after a little jaunt into make-believe-land and was surprised at the rather pleasing selection, if not all the prices. Here's my fave (although, as A points out, it is not uber-practical because of the drawer at the bottom preventing necessary proximity to the mirror...but I just love the lines and shapes):

I think that one just makes a really cool statement. For only $2,450 (choke). Plus shipping. Here's another one. This one has some very nice veneering. It also has a cool "ogee" detail (or s-shaped wave effect) on the top row of drawers. It's easier to see in the second photo. The carving on the legs and the posts for the mirror are really pretty too.And, another specimen. I've always liked ovals. I wanted oval diamonds in my ring, but A refused to buy anything but rounds because they sparkle most. I'm glad to have round diamonds, but I still find the oval shape very pleasing. This vanity has some really nice inlay work in the cameo at the top of the mirror and also on it's top drawers. And, it comes with a really cute seat (which I doubt is original)!So, I haven't found "my" vanity yet--you know, the one that just jumps out at me and must be owned by me... and isn't heart-arrestingly spendy. I don't need a fine antique--after all, I'm probably going to do some surgery on it eventually. And, I'll probably create my own elegant patina of hairspray all over it. And, undoubtedly I will spill water, or better yet, perfume all over it. So, it's not like I want to have the finest of the fine. I just want it to be pretty. And sturdy. And old. Because, you know me, whilst I apply my Cover Girl, I'll be daydreaming about the previous owner--that pretty little Victorian lady in her suffocatingly laced corset, applying her kohl and rouge and teasing her hair into that huge coif. Sigh.

0 comments:

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued