The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Progress

Well, looking back at the "befores" I'm not sure everyone would call what I'm about to show you progress! But, I guess things always have to get worse before they get better!

This is the kids' room. They're sharing for now, partly because of the remodeling, but mostly because having spent the last 10 months with all four of us in one room, we thought they might be traumatized by having their own huge rooms! Eventually, this will be the "boys'" room and the brown room (aka "Master 1") will be the "girls'" room. Anyway, this room used to be neon-aqua. And, the paint job was the worst of the bunch. Now it's a cheery thoughts-of-the-sea-evoking blue (perfect for a pirate's bed! and not as vivid as it looks in that photo).
And, here's Master 1. We'll be taking over in here (we've been stationed in the guest room, but, in fact, I spent part of my day today making room for the new Sleep Number bed I found on CraigsList--yahoo!) until the "Master Haven" upstairs is done and/or we need to move out because another little girlie moves in. Let's hope we get the Haven completed first! I adore how this room turned out. A was nervous about going with such a dark color and everywhere. But, these fine results won him over! I hope he gets the new light fixture/fan up before the bed arrives tomorrow afternoon! While it's being occupied by the two of us, it will be dressed in golds and reds--rich and opulent! When the girlies move in, pinks and browns, with white furniture will change the mood to one of femme fun!
Here's the new and improved Master 1 Bathroom. If you recall, this was the bathroom with the green and white striped wallpaper, complete with a border. Gag me with a spoon, girls. (Isn't it fun to flash-back to the 90's?!) This peanut-buttery color is much more appealing (especially with the chocolate of the adjoining room!). I have a plan for the towels and all, including a special wall treatment, but since I have no hope of getting to it this century, this is what we've got for now. The transfer of ownership will probably be the motivator for completing this project.

Here's a peek at the kids' bathroom (which, will of course, be just for the boys--and guests--when the girls take over the Master 1 Suite). More cuteness has entered since this poor photo, so I'll keep you updated when I get more pics taken.

Here's what's happening in the study. So, if you're an AOH family and call, you can envision me working in here, at that thar desk! Yipes! Once we get the paint on these walls, we'll get this place in order!
The newly created great room. I love it. I can't imagine living with the half wall here. This is a much better arrangement. Speaking of arrangements, I did get the CraigsList sectional in order today. And I have a huge, swollen bruise on my shin to show for it!
And, now, the moment you've all been waiting for (I know you've been checking every few minutes for this and probably scrolled down to see it before you even read my blathering!) the dramatic wall and window removal... From the front door...
And, from inside the kitchen...

MUCH better, no? :) Okay, so next round of pain-staking effort--paint the living room, study, great room, kitchen, and hallway. I'm thinking of painting horizontal tone-on-tone stripes in the great room... Paprika in the kitchen (fitting, isn't it?), Canteen and Bran Muffin in the living and study... And, then, finish the flooring. After that, move in the rest of the furniture and get everything just so. Add art and window dressings. Someday update the dozens of out-dated lighting fixtures to match or coordinate. And, by the time we get that all done, maybe we'll be ready to start upstairs!

2 comments:

Heart4Adoption said...

Beautiful! What a lot of work you are putting in!

Tarah said...

What a great job! Yea you. :)

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued