The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Church Search--Vacillating

Well, as planned, we attended the second church again today. On the way over there this morning, Punk asked, "Are we going to our new church today?" I told him we were and he was really excited. Like I said, the children's ministry there is pretty darn good.

The senior pastor was still out of town, so the message/sermon was given via video, which was kinda interesting. Personally, I would have preferred if someone else could have preached live. Certainly, in that size church, someone could have stepped in.

Today I felt like everything was more "churchy" and less genuine. Of course, tape-o-pastor probably was part of that. And, there was a long, drawn-out altar call (by the father/founding pastor who used to be the pastor until a week or two ago) which culminated in one of those repeat-after-me prayers. I find that considerably humiliating and condescending. Why can't grown adults be expected to speak to God for themselves, in their own words, even if it is the first time?

I'm really wrestling with the concept of how they (seem to) have organized the church's government. If I understood correctly (which I'm still leaving open to doubt because I'm having trouble believing it), there's a serious heart issue behind organizing a church this way and that has been bothering me all week. I feel that I owe them the opportunity to explain this more fully before "writing them off," but at this point, I'd really like to just go back to the first church and be done with it all.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm coming out of stalker-dom to share my opinion of this (if you don't want it feel free to delete it ;-)). I went through a very simmilar "church search" when we moved last time, and, well the move before that.

Honestly I think you should follow your gut feelings on this. For me it came down to not everything is always going to be logical, and sometimes we are led to make illogical decisions for reasons we don't yet understand. When I allowed myself to become involved in the church we were comfortable at, is when other things that made me uncomfortable living where we are started to fall into place (like finding a social life for both me and my kids!).

This isn't saying anything is wrong with church number 2, just that it seems like #1 is a better fit for your family, even if you don't know all the reasons yet.

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued