The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Worth It and a Warranty We'll Use

When we started our house search, interest rates were awesome. We figured out how much house we could afford given those rates. However, when it came time to lock in the rate, they were much higher. We decided to go ahead and buy, planning on refinancing when the rates came down again. Well, if you haven't noticed, they're down again! So, the appraiser was just here. His figure was $33,000 more than what we paid in July! That more than doubles our investment (ya know, excluding the labor we put in). So glad it was worth it, not only mentally/emotionally, but also financially!


This next bit is for you, Londa. Part of the deal when we bought our house was that we got a "home warranty." I'm still not certain what all it covers, but I'm glad we have it! The other day, I had turned on the oven to preheat and meanwhile was going to "live chat" with a customer service gal from a website I was having problems with. All of a sudden, Aaron heard something POP in the oven! (There was nothing in it yet.) He gasped and ran in. When he opened the oven door, I could see a lovely, warm glow fill the kitchen (through the window we made). I asked the CS gal to hang on a moment and ran in to check it out. There was a small flame (just slightly larger than a normal candle flame) and the entire heating element was glowing orangey-white! Yipes! Quickly determining there was nothing I could do, I went back to my live chat. It was only later that I realized I missed a golden opportunity for blog photos. So, this is all you get: the aftermath (see the white scortch marks and the broken element?).

The fix-it man comes tomorrow to tell us what needs to happen next. Meantime, I'm using the secondary, convection oven for my holiday baking and other needs. Thankfully it has a "normal bake" setting, because I'm just not sure about the whole convection business still.

But, hey, maybe mama gets a new stove for Christmas!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little behind on my reading, but am flattered to get a "shout out" in your blog! The pictures are a great addition to the story! We had a home warranty on our house and we too used it on our oven . . . twice! Sorry you didn't get a new one.
Londa

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued