The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

What I Did All Day

Today was Yarn Braid Round 2 for me and Pea. The last time I did it was our first time. It was about 6 weeks ago. I didn't get them very tight to her head and they seemed to have grown out A LOT. They weren't in bad shape, it just looked funny to have so much hair between her scalp and the start of the braid.

This is nearly 140 braids. And, I got them much tighter down (but not so tight as to cause damage--made that mistake once, won't do it again). I'm hoping to get at least 8 weeks out of them this time. I also used a different brand of yarn which is shinier and softer. I think it looks more natural and it was easier on the old fingers.The absolute hardest part for both of us is trying to even everything up at the end. I simply CANNOT do it and she won't sit up straight long enough anyway. So, I do this kind of randomy end-length look. The perfectionist in me groans, but the realist says it doesn't look bad.

I didn't keep really great time records, but I think from the time she got out of the tub until I called it done, was 8 to 8.5 hours. Not too bad, really!

5 comments:

Tarah said...

Rachel,
it looks so great! what yarn do you use?

How long will this stay in???

AMAZING!!!

All 8 of Us said...

This looks great!!! can't tell it is not completely even. A friend is coming over tomorrow to do our daughter's hair...can you tell me what brand of yarn you bought?? I followed another recommendation and purchased the Red Heart brand from Walmart but if I should quick run out before the hours of work begin I'd love to know your recommendation for a higher quality of yarn.
Blessings,
kathi

Rae said...

Kathi,
I used the Red Heart the first time around. It was just fine. A little rough on my fingers and a little thicker than the Caron Simply Soft Eco (from Walmart) that I used this time. I wouldn't say it's "higher quality"--just softer and thinner! :) Good luck with your hair day!!!!

Carolyn said...

Looks great. She looks older with the different style. How did you get her to sit still that long? Disney movies?

Rae said...

Carolyn,
Yes I know! The long hair ages her a lot!!!
And, yes, we do watch a LOT of movies on hair day! And, we take fairly frequent breaks for silliness, snacks, etc.

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued