The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

One Flesh

Our eighth wedding anniversary is coming up in eleven days. Being away from A for the week (while the kiddinkies and I visited my parents, see previous post) reinforced for me the one-flesh concept.
(In this photo, we are ringing the church bell to let the whole world know!)When we got married, we wrote our own vows. Mine were:
I, Rachel, choose you, Aaron, to be my husband.
I give myself wholly to you and I receive you fully into my life.
I will love and cherish you every day I am alive.
I will live in grace toward you in all circumstances.
I will honor you in word and deed, when we are alone and before others.
I will uphold you by my full and contributing partnership with you, and by submitting to you out of reverence for Christ.
I will comfort and encourage you in difficult times.
And, I will celebrate with you in times of joy.
I will live with you in such a way that, with the help and grace of God, we may glorify Him more together than we could alone.
This is the covenant I make with you today and for as long as we both shall live.

This week away from A, I realized how true the second to last sentence is becoming. Somehow, as we devote ourselves to one another year after year, day after day, we're becoming one flesh, better together than alone.

A friend of mine saw A at a dinner party while I was gone. She said he looked lost without me. Boy, was I feeling lost without him. It's not that I can't function on my own. Nor that I do things very differently when we're apart. But, when we're together, it's something extraordinary. I'm just better when he's around. I'm more myself. And more like him. It's like I feed off of his goodness. His character suppliments mine, making me better. I'm so secure in his love for me, I'm free to be better than I am on my own.
And, isn't it like that with God? Just being in His presence makes me better than I am without Him. Looking into His eyes gives me strength. Being with Him is extraordinary. And, His character somehow rubs off on me and makes me better than I am without Him.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jesus, for giving me a man who surpasses every dream I had for a husband (except the tall part, but being the same height is better than I'd guessed!). I love how you reveal yourself to me through him in sometimes surprising ways. I love him and I love you more and more and more!

1 comments:

Heart4Adoption said...

What a sweet post:) Beautiful wedding pictures!

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued