The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Fast Times at Home Sweet Home

If you've been with me for more than a year, you might remember that last January, A and I jumped into our first fast. (See my Jan 12, 2008 post and following) At the beginning of every year, our church leadership calls a corporate fast for 21 days. We learned a lot last year and are excited to be doing it again this year. It's nice to have a little experience under our belts, but we're anything but experts!

The main thing I learned last year was to allow the hunger or desire for food to turn me to God. We use food for so many things. And God is a much better answer to most of them. I'm talking about things like boredom or loneliness. But, I've also used food to solve awkward social situations. Like saying, "I'm going to get some punch" instead of "I've run out of things to say to you." :) Taking my boredom and loneliness, even my social awkwardness, to God is healthier for body and soul. It's a lesson I hope lasts beyond the 21 days.

Yesterday was our first day on the fast, and despite some last minute shopping Tuesday, it went well. Tonight, I made a miso soup that we really enjoyed with some store-bought brown rice vegetarian sushi. We'll be having this dinner again in the next 19 days. Perhaps more than once. So, I thought I'd share the recipe!

Mushroom Miso Soup
1 1/2 c baby bella mushrooms (or other mushrooms of choice) thinly sliced
2 t safflower oil (whatever?! I used sesame)
1/2 c green onions, thinly sliced
1 T garlic (I used 3 cloves and didn't think it was enough)
1 T ginger, minced
4 c water or veg stock (I used 2 c of each)
2 c Swiss chard leaves, roughly chopped (I'll use dried seaweed next time)
2 T red miso (or other miso of choice) (I found it at the co-op, but it may be at the grocery?)
1 T toasted sesame oil (I didn't add any more after using it to saute the veg in the beginning)
2 T sesame seeds (optional)

In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms in the safflower (or sesame) oil for 3 minutes. Add the green onion, garlic, and ginger, and saute an additional 2 minutes. Add the water and Swiss chard and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil; boil for 3 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the miso and a little of the cooking liquid from the pan. Add the miso mixture and toasted sesame oil to the pot, stir well to combine. Remove from heat. Sprinkle sesame seeds over individual servings.

Yeild: 4 servings

By the way, no the kids didn't eat it. Neither mushrooms nor sushi float their boat. I don't normally cater to them, but the fast is an exception in my book if ever there was one!

0 comments:

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued