The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

My Other Mother's Day Gift

If you've been around here for a long, long time, you've heard me talk about my "kid rings." Similar to the idea of a wedding ring, they are a visible symbol of my love and commitment to each of my children.

Punk's birthstone is ruby. So, while we were expecting him, we bought an oval ruby ring from Ebay. After his birth, we had his first two names and birthdate engraved inside it.

While we were planning for Pea to join our family, we bought a pretty square ruby for her ring. When I took it to the jeweler to have it set, they told me it was too thin and they were afraid of breaking it. So, I sent it back and picked out a round ruby. I bought a setting for it, but then we moved to WI before I could have it set. The WI jeweler ruined that ruby (I'll spare you the details), so they got another one. After all that riggamarole, it just was never really what I wanted. Since I've lost a little weight, both rings have become a little lose on me. Rather than paying to size a ring I didn't really like, I came to realize that the best solution would be a simple diamond band to wear with Punk's ring. :)

When our tax return came back earlier this year, A and I went to the jewelry store to look at eternity bands. We picked out a nice 1/2 carat one, but wanted to check on-line for better prices. Then, A told me I could have a new one if I was able to come up with the money for it by selling the old ones. I quickly discovered there was no market for them and there was no way I could come up with the money. During one conversation about it, I got really angry at A for not understanding how much this meant to me. Sometimes he can cross the line into miserly and I just did not think he was being fair. This was back in March. I got over my anger and decided to just wait him out.

On Mother's Day, we were driving back from Atlanta and A seemed really anxious to get home. I thought he was worried about having time to unwind since he had to go back to work on Monday. Again, there were a few little misunderstandings, but we resolved them. When we got home, I fixed hot dogs for the kids and popcorn for us. Good holiday dinner! While I was slaving over the hot microwave, A appeared in the kitchen with his hands behind his back. He gave me some cards from him and the kids. Then he revealed a tiny dark green bag with a gold crest on it. "What is that?" I said. (I had requested rain boots and knew they wouldn't fit in there!) In the bag, I found a small box. In the box was a glittering diamond band--3/4 carats instead of the 1/2 that I had picked out! I have been proudly wearing it ever since!

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued