The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Twofer

Since I neglected you all and hibernated in the real world for a week, I decided to give you a twofer today! Yippee!


And, since I focused on all the domestic love and handicraft being done for Pea, I thought I'd give you a glimpse into the testosterone-infused side of domesticity and crafting around here. (I'll come back to the testosteroneness in a moment, Denise.)


Aaron has been faithfully plugging away at building the boys' bunkbeds. Usually I say "we" are building the beds since I fulfill such useful roles as being the clamp before the actual clamp gets put on and wiping up glue that smooshes out of joints. But, as I was gainfully employed in such domesticity (lovely word, don't you think?!) as cake-baking, cake-decorating, bedskirt sewing, child-rearing, Happy Birthday singing, and so on, I could hardly be called upon to be the Shop-Master's lovely assistant. Until tonight. Because I'm so good at what I do that it's all done (with the sizable exception of the Christmas stockings... and the actual housework). So, I helped with the gluing and clamping sensation pictured below.



You see, these are the footboard ends of each bed. Cool huh? Here's a close-up.



And here are the safety rails that go on the top bunk.



Here's a sample of the finishes. The left is the stained maple for the basis of the beds. The right is the polyurethaned bubinga for the inlays. Beautiful, aren't they? (If you look closely at the above pictures you can see some of the stain on the maple around the edges of the inlay since that would be too difficult to do once they are put together.)



Regarding the big reveal, I promise it will be up Aug 6 or 7. And, no Denise, it has nothing to do with the stag. In fact, the vine is about to be pruned. So, think BIGGER. This is REALLY BIG! I'll publish the whole, wonderful God-story as soon as we get back from the Festival. Hold onto your seats, folks! It's really not boring around here any more!

6 comments:

Amber G. said...

Way to go, shop assistant! (I know all about shop assisting! :)
I love the way the bed is turning out. Hmmm, gives me some great ideas for my shop-master! I love the contrast between the maple and the darker-colored wood. Peter once built a set of kitchen cabinets using a contrast between cherry and an dark african wood, wenge. It was striking.

I'm on the edge of my seat about your big news, too. :) Can't wait to hear the story. You really are terrible to have dropped the hint so many weeks before actually coming out with it!

Tarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bingaling said...

Rae, I am at the edge of my seat! I have to wait until Aug. 6 or 7th?!?! Its ok...I can do it! ;)

I can't wait to hear all about it! the bunkbeds look great! They are going to be fantastic when they are all done!
Chanda

Jocelyn said...

I have no patience...I want to know now!!!

Sintari said...

Wow, you do such lovely work! It's nice of Aaron to help you. I hope he treats you to a nice massage after all that glue-wiping and clamp-being!
You know, it's kind of annoying being strung along like this for the big reveal. Annoying, yet deliciously exciting. It's an interesting combination of emotions.
Eagerly, eagerly awaiting...
- Amy
P.S.
Oh, and if you tell people at the festival before you post it on your blog, I'll be even more annoyed! And you don't want to see that! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel,
I was offline for a month or so but I got back on today and went to your blog...I'm so interested in this big news. Oh, and Will and I listened to the book "there is no me without you" on CD on our drive up North. Incredible, lots of tears while driving. We loved it.
I love your blog!

Jen Klier

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued