The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Neophyte

Ya know how when you go to Wal*Mart and there's that cute little old lady in the blue vest, behind the counter looking quizzically at the register--and right next to her is the goth teenager with the "whatever" attitude--and the little old lady has that nice ribbon attached to her name badge declaring that she is in deed "IN TRAINING"--ya know? Well, next time I go to Wal*Mart, I'm stealing that ribbon!

Then, when my son complains about my daughter...or my daughter complains about my son...or my son dumps a full box of cereal out on the Anglins' kitchen floor and declares, when he is told to pick it up, "My mom cleans up after me"...when things like that happen, I'll wave my "IN TRAINING" banner and give them my "Puh-leeze have a little grace" look in a vain attempt to make it all better.

And, somehow, I'll digitalize my "IN TRAINING" banner so that it will race through the phone line and announce to whomever may be calling that they'll unfortunately be dealing with a dolt, who sounds somewhat like a squeaky parrot: "I don't know...SQUAWK!...I'll find out for you...SQUAWK!"

And, since my handy "IN TRAINING" banner will already be digitalized, I'll also place it prominently in every email as if to warn the recipient that I'm doing the best I can with very limited training and experience, but I really do want to help and wish I could be doing my job better.

I pretty much feel a failure in EVERY aspect of my life right now. I guess that just goes with the territory of being new at everything. And, I'm face-to-face with the fact that I can't do this alone. The Spirit of the Living God is my only hope. I've always hoped to have the character of an 80-year old woman before I reach the age of 80. I think I'm suddenly on the fast-track to that hope!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." --James 1:2-4
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character,; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."--Romans 5:2b-5

12 comments:

Donna Barber said...

We all start somewhere. Stay true to yourself. And do your best to enjoy the journey before God has you move on once again. Life is great! You never know what you get to do.
Lets see some pics of your cutie now that she is home. OH and with your other cutie too.

Brandi said...

Oh my, we definitely got distracted and I did NOT get to hear the rest of the cereal story earlier today!! Maybe that's b/c I had to sneak outside under the pretense of watering flowers just to talk and we ended up talking about "The Amazing Race- Back in Time edition"??? We may be weird!

I agree with Donna, I want more pictures!!

Love you!
Bran

Just A Family said...

Ok breath!!!Take it as it comes and know your not a failure in God's eyes.This to shall pass and you will be left with the footprints of our Lord and savior..

Robin

Anonymous said...

I use to think I'd "get it together" as I got older...now I know I won't get it until I'm HOME!
Here's to being "in training" and feeling inadequate until we finish the race! (Lord keep me from getting shin splints! :)
Your heart is there...and you are willing--you've got it!
Terea

Becky Avella said...

Rachel.

Becky Avella said...

oops...I hit enter before I typed my comment, sorry.

I just hope you know that all of us out here have lots of grace for you. In fact, we are in awe of all that you ARE doing. I relate so much to the "I'm sinking here" feeling. Can I borrow your "In Training" badge some day?

This is one of my favorite verses: The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:24

I love the reminder of who is going to do what I've been called to do.

Praying for you!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I wish I could still say my mom cleans up after me...oh wait...that's right! That's what she DOES when she comes to my house!!! Cleans my house! woo hoo!

....do we ever take off the in training badge this side of heaven??!! love, Denise

Heart4Adoption said...

You have a such a heart to help the orphans, and are so obedient to have answered the call He has for you. He is sovereign over it ALL. With that said, the cereal story is a hoot!!! Tanya in NE

Jamie said...

Well, as a former Wal*Mart cashier, let me tell you: the "in training" badge doesn't do a bit of good! ;0)

Ooh--and I agree with the others: Let's see some new pics!!!

Love,
Jamie Z. :0)

Bethany Askew said...

Very well said. I hope that someday I will learn how not only to balance life the way you do but also how to laugh with myself as I do it. I am a very new mom and I am still learning how to enjoy life with the many added responsibilities, and chalenges. Your children are beautiful!! They look so very happy and I am glad to hear that the changes are going over well. I will continue to pray for your family and wish you the best.

Jess said...

Hang in there Rae. Praying for you.

S and K said...

Rachel,

You are right, The Spirit of the Living God inside of you is indeed your only hope! He is my only hope too! May we never forget this. For He is our strength, our fortress, our wisdom, our righteousness, our integrity, our hope, our peace, and our ability.
We are failures without Him. Your humility is so refreshing and so convicting.
We are praying for you and know that you are doing your very best and we appreciate you. We pray for supernatural grace to handle all that you have on your plate. We pray for wisdom and joy in your work, your parenting and your marriage. We pray for times of love and laughter between you and Aaron. Mostly we pray for intense love and intimacy and times of renewal with the Lord.
In Him,
Katy

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued