The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Comic Relief

I've been trying to teach Pea the answers to the two big questions all passers-by ask her: "What's your name?" and "How old are you?" We're doing really well with the age thing ("Doo!!!" accompanied by a very funky hand gesture, making an "O" with her thumb and middle finger and curling the other fingers up and out), but, thanks to big brother, we're having some difficulties with her name.
Me: What's your name?
Punk: PUNK!!!!
Pea: DUNK!!!!
They laugh. I used to too, but it's gotten a little old. Alas, repetition is the essence of toddlerhood...
Me: No, that's your brother's name. You're Pea. What's your name?
Punk: PUNK!!!
Pea: DUNK!!!!!
Me: No, your name is Pea. How old are you, Sweetpea?
Pea: DOO!!!!
We all cheer and clap and laugh and carry on in general celebration of a correct answer.
Me: Sweetpea--what's your name?
Pea: DUUUNNNKKKK!!!
Sigh. We'll try again another day.

Aaron: Get your hand out of your pants, Punk.
Punk, who is wearing a shirt and undies: I'm just putting my hand in this pocket here.
(If you haven't started laughing yet, visalize little boy panties....)
He demonstrated and the corrective nature of the moment was entirely lost in the ensuing hilarity.

Pea loves shoes. She asks to wear them all the time and complains when we take them off for bed. I ordered her a new pair from Ebay and they arrived Friday. I showed her the box and asked, "What's inside?" She just looked at me blankly. I took off the lid and they were covered in paper. More blank looks. Then I peeled back the paper. "CHOOS!!!!" she yelled and did a little dance. Then she couldn't get the shoes she had on fast enough and had to wear the new ones.

Punk was playing with Pea's My Little Ponies this afternoon and kept turning them over and saying something. I didn't want to ruin the moment, but I was VERY curious about what he was saying. I turned down the tv volume and leaned closer to hear him saying, "Nope, she doesn't have a penis. ... Nope, she doesn't have a penis. ..." So much for the birds and the bees. It's the horses and the Ponies for Punk.

I bought myself some Dove chocolates and was eating them one night after the kids went to bed. Despite my mental notes, I forgot to dispose of the evidence. The next morning :Punk climbed into bed with us and asked, "What are those shiny blue things?"
Me: Uuurgh. Huuuugh. Huh?
Punk: What was in those shiny blue wrappers on the table in there?
Me: Oh. Dirt.
Punk: Oh.
And he trolloped off, completely appeased. Until a few hours later...
Punk: Mom?... MOM?!... Can I have some dirt?

They sure do keep us laughing!

2 comments:

Tarah said...

:) Love ya RAE!! My three boys like to keep their hands in their pockets too.

Tami said...

I'd say YOU keep US laughing!

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued