The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Surprises

I don't really like surprises. The truth is, I'm afraid of being disappointed. I know that makes me sound spoiled (Aaron would agree), but it's true (the disappointment part--I might argue a bit about being spoiled). Besides not liking them particularly, I have an uncanny habit of (accidentally, I might add) spoiling surprises. Sometimes I happen upon gifts (no, I am NOT spying or looking for gifts when I find them!); sometimes it's just because I know Aaron so well, and let's face it, he is a tish predictable (which actually helps mitigate the disappointments, truthfully).

So, a couple of weeks ago I walked in on Aaron while he was at the computer. "Get AWAY!!!! Don't come any closer! You can't see this!!!!"
Me: Uh.... What? What are you doing?
Him: I'm working on something. Don't look!
Me: Well what is it?
Him: (dripping with sarcasm) It's a SUUUR-PriiiiSE!
Me: Oh. What kind of surprise.
Him: A surprise surprise. Are you going to let me finish?
Me: Is it for me? Alright!! Whatever....So when are you going to tell me?
Him: In a few months.
Me: MONTHS!!! You can't keep a secret for months! Which month?
Him: GO AWAY!!!!!

A few days later he was looking at a brochure for safaris he ordered and glanced up at me. "Would you rather go on a safari like this or go to, say, Italy?"
Me: What for? Like for a romantic thing between you and me, Italy, hands down. For a fun thing with the kids, the safari.
Him: But, you always said you wanted to go for a safari.
Me: Yeah, but given you and romantic Italy versus chasing wild animals in a jeep? It's you, babe.
Him: Hmmm.

A few days after that...
Me: Are you taking me to Italy?! Is that your big surprise?!
Him: JERK!!! Why do you always do that?! Stop asking questions! I'm not telling you anything!
Me: Well, when are we going?
Him: I don't know yet. In the fall...
Me: When your parents are here?
Him: Yeah.
Me: Did you clear this with the boss-lady?
Him: Hmmph.

And, a few days after that...
Him: I had a big plan of how I was going to tell you.
Me: Oh? What was it?
Him: Well, since you spoiled it and I can't do it now, I guess I'll tell you. I was going to put the tickets in a card for our anniversary. I was going to be all like, "I forgot to get anything for our anniversary, but I got you this card!"
Me: You know you would have caved long before JULY, dear.
Him: Hmmph.

And then a few days later...
Him: Okay now. I'm SERIOUS. Lay off with all the questioning! You know you can weasel it all out of me, but I really, really, REALLY want to surprise you! Just this ONCE, okay?!
Me: (whining becomingly) C'mon. That's like impossible. I know there's a surprise--I must know what's going on.
Him: Honey. Really. Promise me.
Me: Mmmmmrrrgh. Okay.

And, so far, I haven't weaseled anything else out of him. Oh, except that I gave him some anti-disappointment tips and he assured me that his current plans are right on target!

Oh, and by the way, YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!! I'm going to Italy!!!!!

2 comments:

andreawilliams said...

Wahoo Italy! We went there a few years ago and I loved it!! Let me know your address and I will mail you all of our tour books.
Still missing your cheesecake... oh and your face!!

Heart4Adoption said...

Italy! How romantic! Tanya

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued