The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

We Just Never Stop Working

Well, that's not exactly true, but as a follower of this blog you may have noticed that we like to have projects! Since the big house projects are done, A has returned to Punk's bunk beds that he started a long time ago in a lifetime far, far away. Most of the assembly was done before we left Boise, but he didn't get to finish them. So, that's what he's been working on lately. We transformed the upstairs "unused" room into a finishing station and he's been layering on the stain. The beds are coming along nicely and A plans to put them together for the kiddinkidinks to use by next weekend!


See the safety rail and the ladder in the back? They can be bunked or not. Punk is really excited to have them bunked, so we'll see how he does up there...
Putting poly on the bubinga to make it nice and smooth. So pretty! Mama like-a de shiny! Meanwhile, I've been working on the great room curtains...and I'm done! Woo hoo! I love the way they add a little punch to this otherwise very neutral room. :)And, the same shot during the daytime! :)I also took a few moments to paint up this bench for the back entry. It was sort of an experiment in distressing because A's next-to-next project is storage cabinet/armoir for the great room (for my table linens, board games, stuff that has no other home) and I've been thinking of using a distressed finish on it. After this "trial run" I'm totally going for it! I chose a very simple technique for my first stab (paint, sand edges, clear finish), but I'm going all out with layers of paint and a glaze for the armoir!


So, here's the bench nicely painted, pre-distressing...


And, after a little undoing...

And, since you can hardly tell the difference in those two shots, here's a closeup! And here it is, completed, and in it's new habitat by the garage door entry to the house. A nice place to sit down to take off muddy/wet shoes, and a way for the kids to reach the hooks!

2 comments:

Rae said...

Wow! So I just noticed how the color of the bench is so like the color of my blog! Guess I like that color!

Becky Avella said...

You are so lucky that you both have the talent to be "do-it-yourselfers". It all looks great. The wood A used for the bunkbeds is gorgeous! Want to come back for a visit and redo my house? : )

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued