The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

Snipets

There's a lot rambling around in my head these days. I'm hoping this "download" will help clear the air. (Yes, I did just call myself an airhead!)

BLUE WITH ENVY
After I redid Pea's hair on Tuesday, Punk was jealous that she was getting lots of attention for her pretty hair. Before we headed to the gym on Wednesday morning, I asked if he wanted me to spike his hair (he's been wanting that frequently lately). He said, "Nah, but could you spray it blue?!" So I did. He got more attention than Pea that day!


COMPARING

I'm really bad at remembering my kids' milestones, but there are a few facts and figures ingrained in my brain. One of those is that Pea was 16 pounds when we first "met" her by photos in Jan 07. She was 18 months old and 16 pounds--the same as my friend's 9 month old. Yesterday I met a 24-pound 6-month-old. It's staggering to think about.

PREPARING

When we left Boise in September of 07, we felt our family was complete. We were expecting two children to come home to us from Liberia. One of them was Pea. The other was a sweet boy who was a year older than Punk. Unfortunately, he didn't make it here. But, at that time, we didn't know he wouldn't be coming home. So, we thought we were "done" and we were moving to a much smaller dwelling, thus we sold/donated/gave away/got rid of almost all our baby stuff. Now that our home study update is completed and we're this { } close to being on the list (meaning we could have a baby nearly anytime now), I'm a little obsessed with getting prepared!

We did save a few things (stroller, crib, Pack-n-Play, diaper bag), but no baby clothes, no pacies, no bottles, no receiving blankets, no lotsa things. There are quite a few things that I considered "must-haves" the first time around that I don't really need this time (bouncy seat, changing table). But, there are several things that I learned that I do need (receiving blankets, carrier) and I want to start getting them amassed.

I also need to figure out the immediate sleeping arrangements. I want baby close to me, but A doesn't want to be woken up all through the night. So, do baby and I move upstairs? Does A move upstairs? Do we put baby in our closet? Of course, all of these options would be temporary, but none are exactly ideal. What to do, what to do.

CHURCH MOVE

Did I tell you our church's big news? We are moving to a space in the mall! Actually, two spaces. Right next to Sears. We're all really excited! Not only is it a nice new space (with three separate areas in the little kids area--called the Greenhouse--for infants, walkers, and preschoolers), but it's an amazing way to intersect people's lives. While many people wouldn't walk into a typical church building, they just might be curious enough about church in the mall to pop their heads in. Sunday is our opening day. Can't wait!

1 comments:

HandsRaisedToHeaven said...

So excited for your family, Rachel! Do you ever hear anything about that other little boy? I often think and pray for him, remembering what a challenging situation it was...

Blessings as you prepare for a new baby! Do you have garage sales in your area, many people sell baby stuff at great deals.

Jenny

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued