The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

A Miracle for Mother's Day

May 10, 2010

On April 28th, I got a call from our adoption agency in Georgia. Although I knew it was our case worker Connie calling, she didn't sound happy or excited, so I expected bad news. Instead, she told me that a birth mother had chosen us as her baby's adoptive family! I was shocked. A large part of me thought this call would never come. I burst into happy tears and begged to be told some details.

When Connie said that the mother was African, my heart skipped a beat. When she went on to say that she is in fact Liberian, I sobbed, "No way! No way! Really? No way!" Connie asked if our daughter is also Liberian. I told her yes and she said she couldn't remember and the birth mom's case worker didn't say anything about it either. She believed that it wasn't in our profile since I was the only one making a big deal about it! After giving me some more details about the mother, Connie moved on to the father. He is also Liberian. I was crying so much that I couldn't see to write notes. I couldn't say anything. I was so overwhelmed. How could this be? How could this be?

I was on my way to pick up A anyway when the call came, so I waited to tell him until I could do it face-to-face. As I processed it all, I remembered a conversation I had with God in January. He told me He was preparing to exceed my expectations for this adoption and it's circumstances. Boy, did He do that! I was and still am just blown away by the idea that God would give us a Liberian baby through domestic adoption!

So, the birth mother wanted to meet us before the baby is born. Our only opportunity was this past weekend. So we drove 8 hours each way to meet her on Saturday. Punk and Pea stayed behind with friends. It was so sweet to meet her, even if it was a tad bit awkward. The meeting seemed to go very well and A is convinced she'll go through with the adoption plan. I'm still holding my breath just a little bit. We found out at the meeting that she did not realize that Pea was Liberian until the case workers told her about my reaction to finding out that they are Liberian! She was pleased to know that we are interested in the Liberian culture and learning more about it.

We haven't told Punk and Pea about any of this yet. A and I are traveling this weekend for my sister's wedding and after that we will start talking about the mom who is deciding whether she will give her baby to our family just like Pea's first mom did. No definites. No absolutes. Just that we have to start preparing for a baby because she might choose to have us adopt him.

Baby is due by planned c-section on May 19th. If all goes according to plan we should have our new son in our arms June 1st!

1 comments:

zandyk said...

Praying for you! How amazing!

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued