The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Five of Us, Spring 2014

The Big Reveal

Your patience paid off! Here's the scoop! I've been writing this for more than a week, so it's really, really long. I had to blog, though, even if I couldn't let you see it right away! We got home at 2 AM this morning, so I'm glad I had this "pre-blogged" so you could get it this morning! Now, I'm going to spend some time with the little orange-haired boy I missed so much while I was away. I'll blog more about the weekend itself when I can!

On July 1st I wrote about faith and my Divine Discontent and the feeling that we were on the edge of something, waiting for God to say "Jump!" Ten days later, he said it! Aaron and I both felt the winds of change a-blowing and decided to talk to Patty about what needs we might be able to fill for Acres of Hope. So, July 11th, we called and talked about Pence's case at length (that's when we found out about the aunt and him asking about his turn) and then told Patty that we'd been feeling this way and wondered if there was any way we could get more involved. I expected her to give us a few options of things we might do--volunteering a couple hours a week from home, giving financially to some need, something like that. Aaron had told me just before the call that while he'd been praying throughout that day, he had the impression that Patty would say, "Funny you should ask..." and then tell us something that was right up our alley.

Well, Patty did say, "Funny you should ask..." and then went on to say that she'd just been praying for someone to fill Donna's position ASAP. Donna is the office administrator for Acres of Hope and gave notice in April that she wanted to be out of her job by June 1st. Patty had been diligently interviewing, but couldn't find anyone who had both the necessary skills, as well as a minister's heart. When Acres of Hope-Liberia began five years ago, it was truly a mom-and-pop style organization. But, now, they do so much more and need a full-time administrator of the US office. Patty really was looking for a couple to share the responsibilities, a couple who would be missionaries, right there in Wisconsin, a couple with organizational and administrative skills as well as the pastoral heart to guide families through the ups and downs of adoption.


Everything Patty said about the job rang bells for us. It was exactly the things we'd been dreaming of. We knew that we're not cut out to be "traditional missionaries" and that, instead, we make a great team serving together behind-the-scenes for the success of someone who is gifted in evangelism and visioneering. Aaron was growing more and more dissatisfied with "wasting" his skills and gifts to make computer chips. He wanted to use them to make a difference in the kingdom. And, as much as I enjoy Punk, stay-at-home-momming is a bit tedious for me. I also felt some of my skills and gifts have been shelved a little while I've been home. Patty told us of her vision for having a couple share the responsiblities. This so resonated with us--one of us could be at home with the kids while the other was in the office and both jobs (home/parenting and the office work) could be divided and conquered as a team. Neither of us would be "stuck" in the office or "stuck" at home. It was shocking how nicely this all seemed to fit in with our conversations with God behind closed doors.


We ended the conversation with butterflies in our stomachs and tears on our cheeks. Was this God? Could it be? Was He really asking us to give up everything here, move to Wisconsin, and start a whole new life? It sure seemed like it! We were shocked and overwhelmed.


We confided in a few close friends and mentors. All of them were shocked and affirming. As the days passed, it seemed more and more like we could and should do this.

Sunday, July 15, we talked with Patty for three hours. At one point, I mouthed to Aaron, "I'm ready to do this, if you are." He smiled his nervous smile (sometime I'll tell you all our dating story--we had a similar incident--I basically told him that I'd say yes if he asked me to marry him--5 months before he did!). The conversation seemed to be winding down, but Patty hadn't directly offered us the job. Aaron asked if she was. She said yes. He said he needed to sleep on it. She went on talking for a few more minutes. Then, Aaron said he was being silly and he really didn't need to sleep on it, it's a go!


We began researching all the things that need to be done. We saw a financial planner and talked to our tax man. We looked into health insurance plans and realtors. We found out how much our extra car is worth. We decided to sell the house and our Focus. We started planning a big ol' yard sale! We called our pastor to talk about making the transition as well as we possibly can. It's wild! WILD!

Then we talked with Donna and Patty both again on the evening of July 26th. We talked about when we'll be able to move to Wisconsin for training, covering emails and phone for Donna while she's in Africa at the end of August, and even about going to Africa first thing in September!


(August 2)
So, since I wrote the section above, things are really taking off and becoming so real. The word isn't out totally yet, but we've been widening the circle of those "in the know." When we're able to talk freely after the Festival (and A turns in his resignation), the reality will really set in.


We've talked to the realtor and set a price for the house. He'll be putting the sign out front in a couple of days! I washed the outside of the house one day. I started packing things up in "SELL" boxes and "KEEP" boxes. I've taken out 4 or 5 "tall kitchen garbage cans" of trash (so far, my stuff has been pretty evenly divided between those three categories, but then I was tackling things I knew had to go somewhere!).


I chose new carpet to replace our raspberry jungle and new peel-and-stick vinyl tiles to replace the mess we inherited as a master bathroom floor. I told the carpet sales-lady that we will NOT pay $2/sq ft (!!!!) to have the raspberry rhapsody "professionally removed." (Thank God for FRIENDS!!). I have looked at faucet replacements, begged grocery stores for empty boxes, bought bubble wrap, and many other activities I never thought I'd be doing. Wild, wild, WILD, friends and stalkers!


And, now, I have to pack for the Festival. Which requires some laundry be done. And, e-check-in for our flight. I already printed MapQuest directions last night from the airport to the Bed and Breakfast (I'm REALLY looking forward to that!) and then on to Acres of Hope! Wowee! I wonder if I'll get to publish this post from my soon-to-be office! That'd be something, huh?!

16 comments:

Bingaling said...

Rae,
This is AMAZING!!! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear more about this big adventure! And...I have to say...I'm glad you'll be moving to the midwest. We're in Iowa...not too far away from Wisconsin, really.

Congrats on this big revelation. Its amazing what can/will happen when you let yourself be drawn into God's direction.

Can't wait to hear more!
Chanda

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

Rae, I am so happy for you guys! I never would've guessed this was your big surprise but being the Adoption Coordinator for AoH will fit you to a T. I love hearing how you are stepping out on faith and allowing God to direct your every move.
Erin

Dono & Laurie said...

I'm so so so happy for you and the family!!! God is so good! I'll be praying for you guys thru this huge transition! One month and you will be holding those beautiful Liberian babies of yours! Can't wait to hear all about it:)
Love,
Laurie

Sintari said...

EXCITING!!!!!
This sounds SO PERFECT! For your family and for AOH! I'm soo HAPPY!!!

Brandi said...

ONE month makes me have to shake off the goosebumps!! You'll hold your babies. . .and hopefully mine too! oooh, I get giddy just thinking about it! Yes, this is my 4th or 5th comment or email. . .you're going to change your mind about me being a real stalker! I just can't resist the opportunity to encourage and love on ya!

Bran

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!!!! I'm a quiet reader of your blog (since we both talked about our then malnourished babies) and am so happy for you and hubby! Working in adoption is a challenge, but the blessings far outweigh the burdens!!!!

Anita
www.gillispiefam.blogspot.com

Joy said...

Congratulations on this new adventure! We will be praying for you as you transition...

S and K said...

Sooooo excited for you both. Can't wait to meet you and talk to you in person. Praise God for His leading. What an adventure you are on!
Love,
katy

http://growingmacohana.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Congrats Rae, that is amazing. Being a missionary, is amazing and especially in america!

emily said...

Love to see God's people living lives of radical obedience to Him! Blessings to you on this new journey.

Anonymous said...

Wow Rae! That is quite AMAZING! I am thrilled for you both! And a bit envious to be honest, what a fantastic opportunity. I am very happy for you. And I can honestly say that in a few years we would love to adopt through Acres of Hope and work with you! I'd be very comfortable knowing we were in good hands.

I am a bit sad that you are moving before we could actually meet and hang out here in Boise. How stupid is that! We let the whole summer go by without getting together!

Best of luck with this Rae, it sounds wonderful.

Jamie

Dale said...

I so enjoyed talking to you both at the festival! The yahoo group has said it would take 2 people to fill Donna's shoes - looks like you 2 are it! I couldn't be happier with the decision. From the little that I know about you, God has perfectly matched your talents for this position. May God bless you richly! Kim

International Mommy said...

Rae~
Wow-talk about a lot of comments on this post!

This is so incredible!! I am so excited for you guys and I think that you will be absolutely wonderful at this job...but I am not going to lie- I couldn't do it!!
(Now if you told me that you were going to do Melodie's job I might be a little jealous :)
But anyway, Many prayers for a QUICK sale on the house, and for everything else to follow smoothly...I know that everything will fall into place!
Love in Him,
Charity

Amber G. said...

This is a pretty great "big reveal"!!! And, I have to say that I was actually hoping this was going to be your big news!

It is SO exciting to see what happens when people are willing to jump out with absolute faith. Thanks for the clear picture you're displaying through your lives.

I am so excited that we get to work with you guys as we finish our adoption (and on more adoptions in the future!!)

And I'm so thrilled for you to get to hold your babies (and our baby) and all the other kiddos so soon. I hope the time in Africa solidifies in your hearts that you are doing the most incredible, meaningful work in the world.

And I also have to tell you what a great guy I think Aaron is to be willing to leap too. We are really blessed to have husbands who are so willing to move where God is leading!
Yay for the Wilsons!!

Amber

Brandi said...

Whew, 15 comments. . .did you take the job just to increase readership and get lots of comments? hmmmm.. .

Brandi

My Man and Me

My Man and Me
married 7/7/2001

Punk

Punk
ours through biology, born 7/25/2004, home 8/1/2004

Pea

Pea
ours through adoption from Liberia, West Africa, born 7/15/2005, home 10/25/2007

Pup

Pup
ours through domestic adoption, born 1/15/2011, home 2/10/2011, final 8/3/2011

Talk To Me

I blog for myself and my kids and I would do it even if no one else cared, but I do like to hear from you (and think it's a wee bit creepy of you to voyeurize us without my knowing it). So, please leave a comment from time to time, or email me anytime at xawilsons@hotmail.com. Much obliged, I'm sure.

Get Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Where You're From

Stalkers, Caught Red-Handed!

Round Two Timeline

  • 9/24/08 Home study update home visit for Ghana adoption
  • 10/15/08 Dossier sent to AOHG
  • 10/15/08 I600A application sent to USCIS
  • 10/30/08 First heard about possible domestic private adoption
  • 11/18/08 Last spoke with contact about possible domestic adoption; expected to hear back about meeting with birthmother
  • 12/3/08 Withdrew application from AOHG
  • 1/6/09 Found out another family had been chosen for possible domestic adoption
  • 1/21/09 USCIS fingerprinting appointment
  • 1/8/09 Received USCIS fingerprinting appointment notice
  • 4/11/09 Sent Pre-Application to Covenant Care Adoptions for Domestic Infant Adoption program
  • 6/8/09 Social worker visit to update home study from International to Domestic
  • 7/24/09 Received completed home study update
  • 8/25/09 Went "on the list" for birthfamilies to choose from
  • 4/28/10 Found out a birth mom had chosen us
  • 5/8/10 Met the birth mom
  • 5/11/10 Got the call that birth mom changed her mind
  • 5/19/10 Birth mom's scheduled c-section
  • 11/30/10 Visit from DSS sw about foster parenting
  • 11/30/10 Got the call that another birth mom had chosen us
  • 12/21/10 Met with the birth mom
  • 1/15/11 @1:42 PM BB was born!
  • 1/19/11 ICPC (interstate) paperwork sent to GA for approval
  • 1/31/11 ICPC Clearance Approved
  • 2/10/11 Placement Ceremony and Pup comes home!!!!
  • 8/3/11 It's Official! Pup's Adoption Decree was issued